Summer 2022 Immigration Legal Internship
The Sex Workers Project is looking for highly motivated problem-solvers committed to advancing the rights of sex workers and survivors of trafficking. SWP is seeking a summer legal intern in our immigration practice area. Immigration legal interns will:
- Work with our immigrant sex worker client base on immigration applications, including:
- Asylum, T nonimmigrant status, Adjustment of Status, Naturalization, etc;
- Conduct legal research and advocacy, meet regularly with clients to draft affidavits, and assist SWP’s team of attorneys in preparing immigration cases before adjudicators; and
- Receive regular supervision by our team of experienced immigration practitioners.
- Strong legal writing skills
- Comfort working closely with LGBTQ clients and survivors of trauma
- Interest in immigration law
Spanish language competence to conduct interviews, converse fluently with monolingual Spanish-speaking clients, and communicate legal information is preferred.
This is a non-staff position with the potential for a stipend determined on the length of the internship.
The intern may work entirely remote or if New York City-based, in-person as is safe and agreed upon with the SWP Legal Team.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and people with lived experiences of migration and/or sex work.
To apply please send a current resume (no more than 2 pages) and a cover letter overviewing your qualifications and reasons for interest in the internship opportunity. Send all materials to Molly Cohen (she/her), Senior Supervising Attorney, at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a start date beginning after May 30, 2022. Internship term is flexible depending on capacity and requirements of the candidate’s law school.